Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Visit From Rachel and Family!

Yesterday Rachel, Jason, Maddy, Renee and Jaynie flew back to Arizona. After saying goodbyes, I cried like a baby, just as snowflakes started to fall.

The family flew into Medford on Friday night. I couldn't believe how grown up the girls were/are! I first saw Madelyn and Renee, they are so beautiful and mature!!! Maddy brought us some "Cactus Candy", made from prickly pears! The girls are all so sweet and helpful. Then cute lil Jaynie came out all by herself and we called her over, last a worried Rachel and Jase came through the door. She didn't know where the girls went, as they went ahead, but all was well. I didn't scream and I didn't cry when I saw them, I was just in shock and plus I had already cried in the truck on my way to meet them at the airport.

Friday night was pizza pigout and catching up night. Went in the hot tub for awhile. I could NOT believe they were in Oregon and in my house! Saturday the girls had fun quadding in the mud on our property (in the mud), and looking at all our animals. Before town I took Rachie and Jase to see Glendale and they had fun admiring the woodworking of some downtown attractions (the woodworking in the local bar is really amazing) Don't worry no one drank, we were just sight seeing. It was pretty hilarious that they got a call from their ward mission leader while we were in the bar! Jason said, I don't think I'm gonna answer it right now. ha ha ha. We grabbed some cheeseburgers at the local hole in the wall restaurant and then picked up the kids and headed for town.

The girls and Sheldon saw a movie and the adults and Jaynie went window shopping, touring in downtown Grants Pass...Some fudge, some popcorn, Jaynie's Elvis clock, and a few other souveniers later, we picked up Sheldon from the movie and then we went to the park and watched the ducks and the river for awhile. Jason treated us to Sonic, while the girls plus some of Shawny's friends walked up and down-downtown mingling. Before we left Shawny had "done" Maddy and Reen's hair and makeup...Rachel was a little scared but I thought it was really cute...They blended right in with all the other "scene" kids. ha ha. The adults, Sheldon and Jayne went back to the house for some chinese dinner and more hot tubbing - while the teen cousins all went to a local band show.

Sunday was kind of a flop in a way but was still a lot of fun. Everyone slept in and we had a huge breakfast and since we felt bad that we were missing church, we had a mini family home evening/devotional. We didn't get out of the house until about 12:48pm. (It's a 2 1/2 hr drive to the beach) ...Jason drove us all to the coast in their rented luxury minivan (we had one more body than seats so it was a lil crowded but everyone was trying to have a good attitude)...We got to the beach and it was freezing and windy to boot! The girls managed to stay out of the van for about five minutes! Everyone was freezing cold so we stayed in the van and played some fun paper games and ate our picnic (in the van). Except for Jason who dipped his feet in the water and brought back some sand dollars and shells for us to see! From there we went to the docks where we looked at the names of boats (which I love doing) and saw a sea lion up close and several huge star fish and some sea enenamies and a jelly fish, also looked in the little gift shop which had huge crabs and other little trinkets. At this point in was getting dark already so we drove back home. I made a huge Mexican feast and the kids all went in the hot tub again...

Monday came quickly. After breakfast everyone sadly packed up. Then we went and looked at some local historic pioneer sites. We got some good pics of the family by some wagons. (I'll post em when I can) Then we headed into town. The kids all wanted to go to the mall. We browsed and ate and browsed around until it was time. Jason gave Rachel a present (which she screamed from delight I might add)..it was the book from the 'FireProof' movie, she had been wanting it... Jason bought some old money at the coin shop and Sheldon and Jayne bought some "mini money"... and Maddy bought a shirt. All too soon, it was time for them to head to the airport, back out of Oregon, out of the reach of our hugs and smiles and laughter in person....

I'm so thankful for the time that we got so spend with them. They are all beautiful people. The girls are so grown up. Time doesn't stand still. We can't go back. But we can look back on the memories. I'm glad we had some good memories made this weekend...

Snow started falling shortly after we said our goodbyes in the mall parking lot. I told them I couldn't go into the airport because I knew I would cry. When their van turned into the Medford International Airport, tears and snow fell together. We parted and started the 45 mile ride back home, my kids were silent as I dabbed at my face the whole way home with a Wendy's napkin.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a ton of fun I bet you and the kids will remember this forever! Goodbyes are hard I hate saying goodbye to people I either cry unstoppably or I seem distant because I am trying not to cry.

Coralee... said...

I'm so glad that they got to go up! I know the LOVED it!!! I can't wait untill we come up, just one more week! I'll try and find out how much rental cars are..but we haven't got our tax return yet! I really hope it comes before we go or else we will be stayin at your house for 10 days! Lol, which would be fun too!!!! It's supposed to be direct deposited tomorrow...Love ya! I'm glad you are blogging now!